If you are experiencing a sharp pain that runs from the lower back to the legs through the buttocks, you may be suffering from sciatica. Sciatica occurs due to a pinched nerve, especially after an injury or after body weight changes that put pressure on the spine. Sciatica can disrupt your everyday life. However, you don’t have to live through the pain. Chiropractic care can help. At Discover Life Chiropractic in Tacoma, WA, our chiropractors provide all-natural treatments for sciatica. We will help you return to a healthy, pain-free life.
Causes of Sciatica
Sciatica pain occurs when the sciatic nerve is irritated by a herniated disc or an overgrown bone. On rare occasions, your nerve may be pinched by a tumor or damaged by diseases like diabetes. While most people can suffer from sciatica, certain risk factors increase the likelihood of sciatica. These include:
- Age: Risk factors like herniated disks and bone spurs occur due to age, increasing the risk of sciatica.
- Occupation: If your job includes heavy lifting, twisting, and sitting for a long time, you may develop sciatica.
- Weight: Obesity puts pressure on the spine, increasing the risk of sciatica.
- Pregnancy: Physical and physiological changes during pregnancy increase the chances of sciatica.
Chiropractic Care for Sciatica
Sciatica can cause low back pain, pain from a pinched nerve, and more. If sciatica pain is slowing you down in life, we can help. Our chiropractor will diagnose your condition and make a customized treatment plan for you. This can include a combination of methods, such as:
- Chiropractic adjustment: Our chiropractor will align the misaligned joints during a spinal adjustment, reducing pressure on the irritated sciatic nerve. When pressure is lifted off the sciatic nerve, this results in reduced pain.
- Heat and cold therapy: Alternating cold and hot therapy can provide relief from sciatica. Cold therapy slows down blood circulation, reducing inflammation. On the other hand, heat therapy hastens blood flow, relaxing tense muscles.
- Massage therapy: Deep muscle massages can help reduce sciatica pain. Massage therapy triggers endorphins, reduces inflammation, and improves blood flow, which promotes natural healing in the body.
- Lifestyle advice: If your occupation or posture is triggering sciatica pain, our chiropractor will advise you on how to sit, stand, sleep, and lift properly. This will also improve your posture and reduce your chances of future injuries or recurring pain.
Visit Our Chiropractor in Tacoma, WA for Sciatica Relief
If you are experiencing symptoms of sciatica, you don’t have to continue suffering. We can help. At Discover Life Chiropractic in Tacoma, WA, our chiropractor provides personalized care to alleviate your pain and help your body heal. Our methods are non-invasive and drug-free, so you can avoid risky surgeries and pain medications, which often come with side effects. Call us today to schedule an appointment.